What is it?
Microdermabrasion treatments use a minimally abrasive instrument to gently sand your skin, removing the thicker, uneven outer layer. This treatment works in a series to achieve the best results. At Charlottesville Dermatology, we use a diamond-tipped wand to abrade the surface of the skin.
This type of skin rejuvenation is used to treat light scarring, discoloration, sun damage and stretch marks.
What to expect during a treatment
First, we clean your skin with a cleanser appropriate to your skin. We then follow with the microdermabrasion wand over your skin, then tone your skin with soothing green tea mist. followed by a treatment of our ultra-hydrating hyaluronic acid serum, then Journee Bio-Restorative Day Cream. The entire procedure should take 30 minutes.
What microdermabrasion can do:
- Fade age spots and clear blackheads
- Lessen hyperpigmentation (patches of darkened skin)
- Exfoliate your skin, resulting in a refreshed appearance
- Lessen the appearance of stretch marks.
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- Unclog pores, thereby reducing the appearance of them
- Treat acne and the scars left by acne
Microdermabrasion is fairly a mild procedure, but it is still a collagen-stimulating treatment. Collagen is the building block of healthy glowing skin, and its deterioration over time is what causes dullness and aged-looking skin. Collagen is a protein in your skin that’s abundant when you’re a child and makes skin appear taut and smooth. Collagen production declines as we age, resulting in looser, uneven skin.